Last weekend I watched the documentary "The Business of Being Born." I thought it was pretty good. Definitely one sided towards home-births. They showed several births and all I could think about for the last week is "I have to go through that pain again!"
Porter saw some of the births with me and asked a bunch of questions like:
*How (as in where) does the baby come out of the mom? (Which I answer matter of factly in 5 yr old terms.)
*Did you cry when you had your babies? Yes because it HURTS!
*Did you cry more than the baby?
*Does it hurt?
Later on in the week, Porter asked a few more questions about how I got the baby out of me? (I overheard him explaining it to Lauren yesterday.)
One thing the movie got me thinking about is that it feels like no matter how a woman gives birth, she will always have a critic. I do not want to have a home-birth for several reasons. I have a friend who just opened a birthing center in Lebanon and I would consider it but with how fast Porter came I'm not risking the amount of time it takes to get to Lebanon. I'm going to have this baby in the hospital and I'm planning on not being induced and seeing how things go. I think women should be informed of all their options and not pressured into doing something they don't necessarily want to do. For example, I made it very clear to my doctor with Caelyn that I wanted to avoid Pitocin if at all possible. I did end up being induced by him breaking my water and 2 hours later here was Caelyn. I didn't have an epidural with either Porter or Caelyn. However, if people (mostly women) ask me if I had an epidural I felt like I had to justify my decision or endure them saying wow how did you do it, etc. etc.
Why can't we just let women make their own educated decision about child birth (however, there are situations where "doctor knows best") and leave them alone?
Shoe Day!
7 years ago









2 comments:
Amen. I can't assume to know what is best for anyone else; all I can do is make what I believe to be the best decision for myself.
Yep, there always will be criticism "you are vaccinating your child?!? did you know...." I really had to take a step back and bite my tongue the other day when a friend announced a scheduled induction. Last term, my research project was focused on Lamaze (one of the concepts let labor begin on its own unless there's a medical reason) Did a TON of research, and decided that for me, when the time comes, the lamaze philosophy was the way to go. So just cuz I was curious, I asked why she was inducing. It was because she was anxious for baby to get here sooner. It was a conscious effort to say "can't wait to see pictures!" and be done with it. "her birth, not mine. her birth, not mine" Do what you will with your body, and let others do the same :)
Post a Comment